Connect with us


Explosion at LASUTH destroys offices, shops



An explosion caused by a gas cylinder, rocked the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, yesterday, May 31, 2023, resulting in an outburst of fire.

During the incidence, three container shops located behind the Engineering Department were completely destroyed by the fire, while an adjourning office in the department was partially affected.
Thankfully, there were no reported casualties but a few individual sustained minor injuries in the resulting chaos and stampede.

Director, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Adeseye Margaret, said: “The fire at LASUTH had been extinguished by the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service.

Read Also: Heartless Jigawa father locks daughter in a room for years

“The fire emanated from one of the severely affected shops and travelled through the ceiling to partially involve an office in the adjoining Engineering Department before it was eventually put out.

“Preliminary findings showed mishandling of a 6kg gas cylinder as the cause of the fire by one of the shop’s operatives, before the quick intervention of the nearby Ikeja Fire Station with the backup of Alausa fire crew to stem the incident. Operation was concluded without any record of injury or death.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply